Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Some English Romance


Whether from the smog floating over the city skyline or the cloud of cigarette smoke that seems to perpetually envelop me, my allergies have been a bit persnickety lately. I also seem to have been grinding my teeth while sleeping these past two nights, which has caused massive pain to shoot up through my jaws and into my forehead. Man oh man, have I been hitting the Benadryl, Motrin, and Airborne. Thank God for over-the-counter drugs. So, because I’ve been feeling slightly under the weather (in more ways than one, it seems) these past few days, I decided it was high time for a solid dose of good cinema.

Luckily, I was already aware of yet another of Netflix’s flaws – the inability to stream video outside the United States - prior to my prescription for medicinal cinema. After scouring the internet, I found that iTunes was going to be the most reliable (and legal) way to access television and film. (Though, apparently, you can’t rent television episodes anymore). For me, the iTunes store is an overly expensive example of what Netflix’s instant viewing model could and should be like. Though steeply priced at $3.99 a pop for regular movie rentals, the selection was varied and up-to-date. I did appreciate the 99c movie rental option. Tearing myself away from the great deal, I searched instead for a film that would complement my London setting, which led me to…… Jane Eyre (2011).

And what a perfect choice it was! Movies and books like Jane Eyre are exactly the reason why I am studying in England right now. The camera pans over the vast and flawless countryside get me every time. I love the delicate and beautiful gowns. I’m enchanted by the charming Englishmen. The public propriety juxtaposed with those fateful stolen glances sets me on the edge of my seat. Why is he so infuriating? How will he win her affection? Who or what will stand in their way? Even if I know the story, these questions still take hold of me as I sit in suspense, waiting for the (usually) happy ending. Nothing gets better than romance in the English countryside.

Fortunately and unfortunately, I’ll never get to see this England of old. For one, it’s a constructed world. And two, if I could actually get into book/movie reality, I’d probably hate it anyway. Bad hygiene and absolutely no rights for women…doesn’t really sound like a good match for me. Luckily, I get the best of both worlds. I get to read/watch these amazing and inspirational stories which confront the social/gender issues of the time amidst the backdrop of one heck of a love story. (Cheers goes to you, Jane Austen, Charlotte Bronte, etc.). And, I also get to experience modern England in all its glory. Though I haven’t been able to see much of the countryside yet, it will be an interesting comparison to see how my perception of modern England relates to my perception of romantic England.

Indeed, today, I had an unexpected blast of romantic England as we were strolling through the market stalls of Covent Garden. Drifting through the air, I heard a sweet melody – a woman singing O Mio Babbino Caro. Walking in the chilly air, wind rushing through my hair, surrounded by living energy – such a brief, beautiful, personal moment. And it was in that moment that my idealized England and the real England collided. When they will collide again, I don’t know. I can only hope that they do. 



No comments:

Post a Comment