Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Hurry Up.....Then Wait.

I'm finally here. The airport. Waiting to get on the plane that's going to take me to London. For 3 months. Wow.

Despite the months and months of planning and getting ready, it still hasn't sunk in that I'll be in a foreign country for the next three months of my life. It feels so surreal. Almost like I'll be back at home, back to everything familiar, in no time at all. Which....is probably true when I think about how fast this next semester is going to go by.

Surprisingly, packing/getting to the airport really wasn't as hard as it could have been. With everything packed last night, I watched Housewives of New Jersey with no worries on my mind. But then, after the show, I went to actually pick up the luggage..... yeah, we all know where it goes from here. The luggage - of course - was ridiculously heavy. I flew into a sweaty panic as I tried to weigh (pun intended) my luggage options. One of the options was to drag the luggage behind me, have the internal framed backpack on my back, and my carry-on backpack on the front of my body. I looked like a giant lump. If only I had a picture to share this ingenious luggage-carrying technique. Though I tried my best to avoid being the obnoxious American with the heavy suitcases, I cannot deny it: I AM THAT GIRL.  Now, Londoners will chuckle as they watch my drag my heavy bags behind me.  I really do need everything I packed. I tried to be as objective as possible when packing, but I don't see how they expect me to throw three t-shirts and some underwear in a bag and call it a day!

I arrived super early at the airport and have just been enjoying the luxury of not freaking out. I had another sweaty experience when the time came to go through security. For those of you who don't know, airport security TERRIFIES me. I break into a cold sweat and look super sketchy, and yet, they never ask me to go through a body scanner, etc. This time round, I did have to have my overly-full (and perfectly packed, I might add) backpack completely unpacked and scanned several times. And, to make it worse, I stepped in something wet while I had my shoes off. Ugh. Security.......

Unfortunately, I'll have to cut this account short as my plane will be boarding soon. But, as I arrived early and had little to no obstacles to heroically conquer, you and I will just have to wait until my arrival in the UK for a good adventure. What I learned about the airport today? Don't gulp down a giant bottle of water right after you arrive. You'll be walking all the way down the hallway (because your gate is the farthest gate from everything) to the bathroom, with the ridiculously heavy backpack, several, several, times.

No comments:

Post a Comment